March 13, 2008

There's twee in my tree!

Photobucket

Every week for my job at autofile magazine, I go searching through the weird and wonderful news of the world for a column called Yardstick. It's very popular with the subscribers, and an absolute joy to source material for. Today, amongst the dangerous drivers and clumsy crooks of the world, came a story and pictures that warmed my heart.

Photobucket

Knitters Dress Up Trees for Public Art:

"No, that's not a hallucination. That pear tree is wearing a sweater.
"Wrapped around the trunk is a colorful, crazy-quilt skin made up of panels of yarn knitted individually by residents and visitors alike. Good-luck charms cling to the yarn. Family photos, poems and jokes peek out of knitted pockets.
"The art project in this southwest Ohio village, already known for its offbeat art, has become a conversation piece and even a photo op."

I don't think I've ever been the sort to get excited about winter. I love dresses and sand and car trips and ice blocks, and this past summer people have had to prise me out of my circa 1980s yellow adidas stubbie shorts.
But this gave me a wee sigh for the pleasures of the colder months- starchy vegetables for tea, warming your hands on a cup of soup or tea, woolly hats, gloves and JERSEYS! I love jerseys.

Last year my favourite jerseys (jumpers? pullovers? sweaters?) got a bit of a name for themselves, after I christened them "David Bain" jerseys. Given his reason for notoriety, it was a bit cruel, I know, but his taste in jerseys was impeccable:

Photobucket

So roll on winter I say!

Photobucket
xx Auntie Peach

3 comments:

Aimee said...

I love that there are little treats in little sweater pockets!

Ah, the joy of finding something in the pocket of an item you picked up at a second hand store. Other peoples things!

jafabrit said...

Me too :) Hiay, this is corrine, the local art fairy of yellow springs. I can't tell you how shocked this story got so much attention, who knew. Bottom line though is people are having FUN with this. Hearing the kids, and seeing people explore the tree is the biggest kick of all. And yes it sure has brightened up a glum winters day on Ohio.
So one of the jokes I put in the tree is:
How do trees get onto the internet
They log on

groan, like a bad christmas cracker joke eh!

Glad you got a kick out of it too
cheers
corrine aka jafabrit

Swonderful said...

That's so cool, totally agree with paper cut. I love finding extra personal things in op shop finds too, Like books with dedications in them. I once found a whole scrapbook of someone's gretting cards, complete with messages!
Ginny